Let Me In

Saturday 25th January 2014

Director: Matt Reeves
Year: 2010
Stars: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Chloe Grace Moretz, Richard Jenkins, Elias Koteas

A few years ago, I watched Let the Right One In. I really, really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that I borrowed the book from a colleague and read it. I loved that too. It's an incredibly unique twist on a vampire story, and I love vampire stories anyway.

Well, Let Me In is the American re-make of Let the Right One In. When I saw it was on TV, I was convinced I hadn't seen it. When I told my husband about it, he was convinced when had. I started to have my doubts, now thinking we probably had seen it and he was right. But when Let Me In began, it didn't feel that familiar. Whilst feeling very, very familiar all at the same time.

This remake is very faithful to the original. It changes the story so little that, although not set in New Mexico, it still feels very Swedish in origin. We came to the conclusion that we hadn't seen this version - the familiarity was just down to the plot. Which made me not 100% sure why they bothered to remake it. Yes, it's not in English. but the Swedish version is just as good. Hubby disagreed with me and said he thought it was definitely worth remaking.

Regardless of whether or not the remake was necessary, it's still a very enjoyable movie and an excellent story.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.