The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Sunday 12th May 2013

Director: Peter Jackson
Year: 2012
Stars: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter, Dean O'Gorman, Aidan Turner

In contrast with Sideways, The Hobbit turned out to be better than I was expecting. After hearing a number of reviews when it was released and I didn't get the chance to go to the cinema and see it, I believed it probably wasn't going to live up to all the hype.

Don't get me wrong, The Hobbit is definitely filmed on almost the same scale as Lord of the Rings, when the book really isn't written to the same scale. However, I wasn't bored by the film, and personally I enjoyed the fact that it had such a clear link to the Lord of the Rings movies. This is helped by the fact that all the actors who need to, return to the roles they had in Lord of the Rings

The Hobbit is due to be released in 3 parts, so this movie certainly doesn't tell the full story. Its main focus is on Bilbo's life before Gandalf (McKellen) and the dwarves appear, and how he copes with being dragged away from his home to go in search of a dragon. This isn't to say that there aren't fights with goblins, orcs, and the ever-present Gollum, of course. By the end of the movie the action has fully kicked, and I, for one, will be happy to watch the next instalment, due out this year- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.